The JLJ transom engine mounting bracket is made to fit the existing well. Whilst I have plotted the positions of the 4 holes on the face of the bracket, from experience I have found that the drilling through for the 10 mm holes into the stern well moulding has not been standardised, i.e. this original process had been carried out without a jig set up, resulting in the holes produced in the stern moulding not corresponding to a template format.
Our brackets are drilled on a jig, but due to this variability in stern drilling inevitably there could be a little out of alignment to deal with when fitting. This just requires a 10 mm drill bit to run through the bracket into the stern moulding.
Have a dry run first getting the alignment right. The short bottom bolts are more likely to be a close fit, it was the long 2 top bolts that run through the wedge backing that were originally done by eye. It is visible on our dry run the new holes that we have drilled into the stern transom moulding. This is not an issue, with a sealant applied to the existing holes and large ‘Penny ‘ washers as backup behind there is no loss of strength.
This is a 2-person job. Also to get into the stern Lazarette on one’s side to apply the washers and nuts needs agility. The nuts are tightened up from inside the Lazarette with your assistant on the outside keeping the eye bolts straight.
I have used ‘Penny ‘ washers and standard washers behind the 10 mm nuts, you will note the small corner of an original hole below the stud, this I will fill with a marine sealant later when the Lazerette is fully painted.
Yet another task completed on Katerina. Her time left in Wales is coming to an end as she leaves to join the charter fleet in mid April.